Jyotir Lingum Yatra

A travel log for my journey to 10 Jyotir Lingums throughout south and central India, November-December 2002 with my yoga group, Dhyanyoga Centers.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, February 05, 2003
 
Motorcycle Madness

If you've been following my India blog, you'll remember me talking about all the motorcycles in India. Bikes, of every sort, are clearly the vehicle of choice, probably because they are relatively affordable. I think a new motorcycle runs about $500. Quite a chunk of change when the average per capita income in India (according to the 2002 World Almanac) is $1800. If I was going to go to India and stay for any length of time, though, I would purchase one. I might even buy a helmet to go with it!

These pictures were taken at a railroad crossing outside of Rajkot in Gujarat. I believe we were on our way to the Somnath Temple that day.

Look for the train!


Those are pretty spiffy bikes, but some of those guys look a little chilled. As I recall it was a cold December morning in that part of India. No parkas, but lots of sweaters and hats.


The crossing gates are down!


Your choice: two or four wheels.


Notice that NONE of these guys has a helmet. Many don't even have eye protection.


That train was moving pretty fast, and I am surprised this picture was at all in focus!


Don't ask me what the guy in the middle has all strapped to his scooter, but isn't that the universal symbol for nuclear waste?!


A motorcyclists view of the road!