Jyotir Lingum Yatra

A travel log for my journey to 10 Jyotir Lingums throughout south and central India, November-December 2002 with my yoga group, Dhyanyoga Centers.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, December 11, 2002
 
Vaijnath Pareli

Although it was another long day in the bus, I especially enjoyed the Shiva Temple at Vaijnath Pareli. The most straight-forward reason for this was that everyone was allowed free reign with their cameras, not only inside the colorful temple, but also the inner sanctum where the Jyotir Lingum was, so I got plenty of pictures of the group doing puja.

As usual, there seemed to be some issue at the end of the puja concerning the payment all the priests were due. Since most of us don't understand Hindi, we are grateful that we have several people with us to handles these matters. The priest did offer to do additional pujas for healing for our family members, so I went ahead, pulled out the rupees, and wrote my sister's name in their little black book.

After we finish in the temples, many of us want to shop the temple area stalls for postcards, trinkets, and other mementos, but we always have to do so in a hurry, since in a blink of an eye were all requested to hop on the bus. I have been trying to pick up pictures and postcards, since I often have not been able to take pictures inside.

I was just thinking today about how nice it has been to have spent the last several nights in one place, as opposed to unpacking, repacking, and dealing with airport security. I prefer the bus rides to those things! We will be driving from Aurangabad to Pune (Poo-nay) on Friday. Tomorrow we will be seeing Girsheshwar temple and hopefully the Ellora caves. These places are not a long drive, and I am glad for that since I am feeling tired about now.

More soon...