Jyotir Lingum Yatra

A travel log for my journey to 10 Jyotir Lingums throughout south and central India, November-December 2002 with my yoga group, Dhyanyoga Centers.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, December 02, 2002
 
Bombay shopping report

If you are ever in Bombay around the Mangaldas Market, and some guy hands you a card with the words ZAMEER Silks on it, throw it away and run the other way! These shops have bait-men, who lure you into their shops, saying come to "my" shop (it's not their shop at all), and then trying to sell you all kinds of stuff you aren't interested in. My complaint was that I wanted a punjabi pantsuit that fit. It was taylored well, but not lined, so it is see through. Properly done, it should have been lined without me asking. I plan on calling this morning, and complaining, but it's a good story to tell for less than $20 (the cost of the sheer punjabi).

I had good success finding gold earrings, fabric trim, some cotton mercernized yarn (which is much more expensive in the US), a couple silk scarfs and the like. I cannot seem to communicate that I would like to buy silk for spinning, though, because every time I ask, I get shown fabric. Also, I do not think it's too likely that I will be finding a charka spinning wheel in Bombay. Besides that, my suitcase is full...I may have to purchase another one of those!

This afternoon we fly out to Rajkot, to the Somanoth Temple. I may not have PC access for a couple of days, so I will check in with you all as soon as I can.